Room to Read
Asia Regional Finance Associate
Room to Read’s mission is to provide under-privileged children with an opportunity to gain the lifelong gift of education. The organization was founded on the belief that education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty and taking control of one’s own life. We currently work in Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. In 2007, we are starting operations in both Bangladesh and Zambia.
Room to Read is a results-driven organization that seeks to intervene early in a child’s life to provide ongoing educational opportunities in their communities. We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We have developed a successful approach to building educational infrastructure and opportunities which consists of:
• Partnering with communities to build schools through challenge grants
• Establishing bi-lingual libraries
• Publishing local language children's books
• Establishing computer and language labs
• Providing long-term scholarships to girls
In our first six years, Room to Read’s worldwide team celebrated the opening of our 3300th library, the donation of our two millionth book, and our fourth consecutive year winning the Fast Company / Monitor Group Social Capitalist award. To date, we have impacted the lives of over 1,000,000 children. Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$12 million, and our global staff will number over 175 by the end of 2007. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have program offices in Colombo, Ho Chi Minh City, Katmandu, New Delhi, Phnom Penh, Pretoria and Vientiane. Our long-term goal is to help 10 million children to gain the lifelong gift of education.
The Finance Associate’s primary responsibilities will include providing support and assistance to the Regional Finance team in New Delhi.
This position reports directly to Asia Regional Finance Director. S/he will be responsible for supporting budget management and MIS for the Asia Region and support all Asian Countries in this regard.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
The specific roles responsibilities of the Finance Associate will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
Study the Annual Budgets and make readable analysis of the same for each program country wise.
Prepare monthly and quarterly MIS based on the data available for the entire Region.
Compare monthly spending to the budget.
Establish on line budget management formats to ensure appropriate budget spending at Countries and Region
Study the Budget updates each quarter and make readable analysis to strengthen the process of approval of the same.
Match monthly fund requests with available budgets plus spending patterns and advise RO on the same.
• Minimum Bachelor Degree in Accounting/Finance and any specific qualification in the field of accounting/management
• Around 3 to 7 year’s accounting-cum-budget management experience in either International NGO or in Corporate.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work in fast paced diverse environment.
• Willing to travel frequently to Asia Region Country Offices.
• Strong skills in Excel, Word and Microsoft Office.
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker – you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through the lifelong gift of education.
Please send a cover letter addressed to the Asia Regional HR Officer and attach resume on or before April 07,2008 by email, with “ Finance Associate” in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to email@example.com Due to high applicant volume you may not receive a response from Room to Read.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
Asia Regional Finance Associate
Room to Read
Location: New Delhi
Last Date: April 7, 2008