Location: Dubai, U.A.E
Last Date: June 25, 2008
Reporting to: Investment Manager
Based: Dubai office
Company Background and Mission:
Grameen-Jameel Pan-Arab Microfinance Limited is a social business jointly owned by Grameen Foundation and Abdul Latif Jameel Group. The company’s core objective is poverty alleviation in the Arab world through microfinance. Grameen-Jameel’s vision is to reach one million new active microfinance clients in the Arab world by 2011. In order to achieve this, the company forms strategic partnerships with microfinance institutions (MFIs) throughout the region who share its values: commitment to reaching women and the poorest; aggressive growth plans; and financial sustainability. Grameen-Jameel supports its Partners by delivering a suite of customized products and services, and provides financing through its $50 million Grameen-Jameel Guarantee Fund. Currently, Grameen-Jameel has 12 Partners in Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, and Saudi Arabia. The company is incorporated in Cyprus with an International Humanitarian City branch license in Dubai.
Grameen Foundation is a global non-profit organization based in Washington, DC that combines microfinance, technology, and innovation to empower the world’s poorest people to escape poverty. Founded in 1997 with the support of Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, GF has a global network of 52 partners in 22 countries.
Abdul Latif Jameel Group, based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, is one of the Arab world’s most successful and respected business groups. Founded in 1945 by the late Sheikh Abdul Latif Jameel, the company was granted sole distribution rights for Toyota vehicles in Saudi Arabia ten years later, which it has maintained ever since. ALJ has a very active community services program with emphasis on education, training and development.
Essential Job Functions:
• Supports transactions and deal flow under the Grameen-Jameel Guarantee Fund, including analysis of MFI creditworthiness and risk;
• Preparation of Investment Committee documentation, including financial modeling and analysis; transaction structuring, monitoring, and portfolio management;
• Reviews Bank Loan Agreements and execute Service Agreements;
• Supports Investment Manager with bank roadshows and marketing of financing products;
• Helps to develop new debt and equity financing products to meet our partners’ financing needs;
• Participates in wide range of transaction types for MFIs, including off-balance sheet financings, term financing, private placements, and quasi-equity;
• Works to achieve an in-depth understanding of MFI Partners’ business plans and financial projections, including running sensitivity analyses as needed;
• Collects and reviews quarterly financial performance reports from Partners, compile data, and analyze partners’ quarterly performance;
• Monitors Partner progress against Grameen-Jameel corporate business plan on a quarterly basis;
• Maintains dealflow pipeline and database of partner performance data and partner investment portfolio;
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Fluency in English; French and Arabic abilities preferred;
• Willingness and ability to travel to other countries in the Middle East & North Africa;
• Strong analytical & problem solving skills;
• Superior financial analysis and modeling skills;
• Knowledge of or experience in microfinance a plus;
• Excellent interpersonal & intercultural communication skills;
• Strong time management skills and ability to manage various projects in a start-up work setting;
• Takes initiative and does not require constant supervision or instructions to get job done;
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s of Business Administration or other relevant graduate degree;
• Four or more years of work experience in finance or accounting;
• Commercial lending or investment banking experience preferable;
• International work experience a plus.
Start Date: Immediate
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with the following items to email@example.com:
1) An explanation of why you want to work for Grameen-Jameel; and 2) An explanation of how your skills and experience are a good match for this position. No phone calls, please.