International Consultant - Development of an Accessible Transport System
Last Date: June 23, 2008
International Consultant to assist in the development of an accessible transport system for persons with disabilities (PWDs) in Penang, Malaysia.
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Terms of Reference for International Consultant
UNDP Malaysia is looking for a suitably qualified International Consultant to assist in the development of an accessible transport system for persons with disabilities (PWDs) in Penang, Malaysia. The consultant will work with local resource persons and institutions under the project Transport for Disabled Persons: Support of the Development of Accessible Transport in Penang. This project is being carried out in collaboration with the Penang State Economic Planning Unit and the Social Welfare Department.
The International Consultant’s specific tasks include:
1. Prepare a concise report documenting international best practices in accessible public transportation for PWDs, including best practices in access building requirements and universal design. The selected international best practices should be relevant to the setting in the state of Penang, Malaysia.
2. Determine the design and methodology for conducting an access audit inspection of public transportation for PWDs in Penang covering the following public transportation facilities:
Vehicles (buses, trains, taxis)
Ferry Terminals, train and bus stations and airport (access to vehicles as well as to ticket booths, retail outlets, toilets etc)
Infrastructure (bus stops, taxi pickup points and surrounding pavements and pathways)
Availability of information on various transport systems
3. Conduct training workshops for local resource persons on conducting access audits. Provide supervision to the access audit process, including assistance and advice on the preparation of all materials to support and facilitate the audit, as well as providing comments and inputs to the report detailing findings and recommendations from the access audit.
4. Based on findings from the access audit, work with local resource persons to design an accessible transport improvement strategy and provide recommendations for future transport infrastructure and facilities based on universal design. The transport improvement strategy should include:
Output and timeframe targets and where possible;
Prioritization of bus routes to be made accessible
Qualifications and Experience
Interested individuals should have the following qualifications:
• A PhD or a Master’s degree in Social Sciences or related discipline.
• 10 years or more of research and consulting experience in the area of accessible transportation for people with disabilities.
• Well versed with the Social Model of Disability.
• Demonstrated ability to speak and write professionally in English, with Bahasa Malaysia an advantage.
• Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, self-motivation and team work.
• Experience working within a multicultural environment and interdisciplinary teams.
• Be proactive, energetic, committed and innovative.
Duration of the Project: 18 months
Interested individuals are kindly requested to submit your application together with a detailed curriculum vitae providing evidence of relevant ongoing and past consultancies/research, publications, reports and services provided and expected consultancy fee to:
United Nations Development Programme
Wisma UN, Jalan Dungun, Damansara Heights
50490 Kuala Lumpur
Fax: 03 – 2095 2870
Deadline for application: 23 June 2008
Only short-listed applicants will be notified.
Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the project, please visit our website at http://www.undp.org.my