Location: New York City, USA
Last Date: May 3, 2009
TITLE: Program Associate, New Business Development
PROGRAM: Program Development
REPORTS TO: Director of Program Development
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
UNION AFFLIATION: Union
EngenderHealth works to improve the health and well-being of people in the poorest communities of the world. We do this by sharing our expertise in sexual and reproductive health and transforming the quality of health care. We promote gender equity, advocate for sound practices and policies, and inspire people to assert their rights to better, healthier lives. Working in partnership with local organizations, we adapt our work in response to local needs.
The Program Associate (PA) for New Business Development supports the identification of new business opportunities in the public and private sectors and is the lead person responsible for coordinating and supporting cross-organizational team-work to bring these opportunities to fruition. The primary mission of the position is to coordinate the development, finalization and submission of high quality proposals, letters of interest (LOIs), best and final offers (BAFOs) and concept papers submitted to bilateral, multilateral, and other donor organizations, as well as strategies and plans for new business development at the organizational, country, regional and global levels. In addition to overall coordination of the above, the PA is the lead person responsible for a number of proposal deliverables, and helps coordinate negotiations with donors and partners. The PA also play a key role in coordinating and contributing to EngenderHealth’s intelligence and other information gathering, knowledge management for strategic business development, prioritization, positioning activities and decision making. The PA works in close collaboration with and in support of the Director of Program Development (PD) and a dedicated team of program/new business development staff including Senior Technical Advisors/Program Managers who lead teams as Proposal Managers (PM), as well as other EngenderHealth staff including the Country and Program Support Team, Human Resource (HR), Finance/Cost Application, Grants & Contracts, and technical and program staff from across EngenderHealth’s global and country programs and from partner organizations.
Development of LOIs, proposals and BAFOs
1. Coordinate the development, finalization and timely submission of high quality, cohesive LOIs, proposals and BAFOs, including all internal and external inputs and deliverables. This includes working with the PD to develop and managing timelines/calendars, templates, outlines, checklists, and required documents/deliverables for the technical and cost portions of the LOI/proposal. The PA will collect, track and disseminate, review, and finalize and/or support finalization of all related information and deliverables.
2. Communicate with partner organizations concerning donor requirements for specific proposals and EngenderHealth’s proposal policies, standard operating procedures, templates, deadlines. Solicit and track submission and finalization of letters of collaboration, support and commitment.
3. Coordinate, contribute to the design of, and participate in internal and external meetings for strategy development, technical design, partnering and overall proposal coordination/management. Ensure background documents to assist with technical and cost applications are identified and disseminated during the preparation period and on an on-going basis throughout proposal development and finalization. Co-facilitate sessions and/or assist with note taking upon request.
4. Compile and assure the timely submission of questions and confirmations to and from donors.
5. Take the lead on drafting and finalizing corporate capability statements, past performance references, personnel documents, and staff skills matrices, working in collaboration with other proposal team members.
6. Draft and/or finalize other sections as assigned, such as the management plan, staffing plan, implementation plans, branding and marking plans, and/or executive summary.
7. Coordinate and/or work directly with the technical team and other EH staff to develop and finalize visual results frameworks, organization charts and other diagrams and figures, as needed.
8. Assist with identification, gathering and synthesis of data and other information necessary for the technical approach, upon request.
9. Work with proposal manager and other proposal leads to identify, develop and finalize annexes/attachments that are responsive to donor requirements and demonstrate the strategic, combined strengths of EngenderHealth and partner organizations.
10. Coordinate reviews during the LOI/proposal development and finalization process, including working with the Director of PD and/or Proposal Manager to identify and ensure availability of appropriate reviewers and determining written and/or meeting formats for reviews. Take the lead on disseminating guidelines/templates for reviewers, coordinating review meetings and/or scheduling of written reviews, compiling/collating, and disseminating feedback/input from reviewers. Review drafts and provide insights and suggestions to proposal manager and other LOI/proposal team leaders on responsiveness of content to donor requirements and on visual presentation. Assist with revisions as assigned and/or requested.
11. Take the lead and/or assist with proof-reading, editing and formatting for assigned LOIs/proposals.
12. Work with Proposal Manager and other proposal leads to ensure the final document submitted is complete, compliant and responsive to donor requirements. Take the lead on coordinating all internal signoffs, ensuring the LOI/proposal or BAFO is submitted on time and in correct formats, and managing the delivery arrangements through electronic means, shipping and/or travel, as necessary. Work with PM to ensure that the donor acknowledges receipt of the LOI/proposal or BAFO before the submission deadline.
13. Coordinate tasks in the post-submission period, including coordinating submission of responses to questions and requests for information from the donor and/or partners, coordination of best and final offers, and providing internal and external updates on the status of the submission. Support post-submission debriefings. Draft internal announcements on the outcome of the bid, for review and dissemination by the Director of PD or other staff as indicated. Support the hand-off and transition of awarded projects to EngenderHealth implementation team(s).
Ongoing information gathering, knowledge management (KM), and standard procedures
14. Organize, populate and manage electronic folders, databases and other formats necessary for strategic positioning, and proposal preparation, development, submission and close-out, as well as other aspects of KM for business development.
15. Coordinate internal gathering and documentation of intelligence and other information to aid identification of business development opportunities, organizational positioning, prioritization and corporate decision making. Includes coordinating and using standard EH tools and formats, web-based searches, document review, and personal contacts for gathering intelligence/information from internal and external sources including U.S. government and European donors, foundations, corporations, UN agencies, and other bilateral and multi-lateral donors.
16. Document, analyze, synthesize and disseminate internally information about donors, trends, partners, competitors, and opportunities. Ensure field and US-based staff are included in gathering and sharing of information and knowledge
17. Coordinate and, upon request, participate in environmental scans for program/new business development, field-based needs assessments, strategy development and planning exercises. Monitor trends in donor priorities and allocations in EngenderHealth core capability areas and countries, and scan for potential new business opportunities both formally, through donor websites, and informally, through regular communication with the field. Track the status and results of on-going projects; and monitoring both local and international partner/competitor activities. Actively research new opportunities and trends based on EngenderHealth’s strategic plan and new business priorities.
18. Compile program information and statistics for potential use in proposals, new business strategies and plans, concept papers and reports about emerging health issues and systems in countries, technical reproductive health and family planning issues, innovations, promising initiatives, information about other technical assistance and international development agencies, and recruitment of staff and consultants.
19. Contribute to development, refinement and use of program development tools and standard operating procedures for pre-bid phases, proposal development and production processes.
20. Design and maintain organization’s intranet site and home page for Program/New Business Development
21. In collaboration with IT and other EH staff, create and maintain databases that will ensure pertinent information is tracked and easily accessible.
22. Contribute to staff orientation and training for business development.
23. Develop scopes of work and manage and/or coordinate the work of consultants on positioning activities and/or LOI/proposal development, as assigned. Liaise with HR and Grants & Contracts, and other PD staff on consultant agreements.
24. Support the Director of PD and/or Proposal Managers, and participate in cultivating, maintaining and backstopping relationships with specific partners and/or donor contacts.
25. Maintain program files and information gathering/synthesizing processes including for the “New Business Opportunity Forecast”, PD Consultative Meetings, and consultant database.
26. Support routine and ad hoc budgeting processes for the PD unit and planning new business/program development across the organization, working in collaboration with the Director of PD and other PD staff.
27. Assist with copy editing, photocopying, word processing, ordering supplies, scheduling meetings and managing meeting logistics and follow-up, and production and distribution of proposals.
28. Other duties as assigned, including administrative support.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline required in area such as Business, International Studies, Public Health, Health Administration, or related area.
• 5 years demonstrated experience in international health and development required, including prior experience with proposal coordination, fundraising and/or program/project coordination/management; preferably experience with USAID funded projects and/or other public sector donors.
• Experience working in developing countries required. Three to five years of frequent short- or long-term field experience in developing countries preferred.
• Ability to travel up to 25% time.
KNOWDLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Basic knowledge of proposal development and/or coordination, especially for USAID and other donors focused on international public health and development. Knoweldge/experience contributing to proposal writing.
• Knowledge and/or interest in international health issues, especially family planning, reproductive health, maternal health, HIV/AIDS, and development topics and issues.
• Superior organization, coordination and management skills.
• Strong skills in writing, editing and proofreading. Clear, effective English language skills a must.
• Ability and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities to meet deadlines, juggle multiple assignments, and work in a dynamic, flexible environment with attention to detail and quality.
• Ability and willingness to work overtime during proposal preparation.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to function effectively in teams.
• Strong experience with the design and coordination of meetings. Good facilitation, oral presentation and motivation skills.
• Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Standard, database management, and graphic design software.
• Flexible and proactive in taking on assignments and responsibilities, and willingness to learn.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading, “Program Associate, Program Development".
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.