Head of Mission
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Last Date: April 25, 2008
Job Title: Head of Mission, UMCOR Afghanistan
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Overview: The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) Non Governmental Organization (NGO) Unit (www.umcor-ngo.org) is a not-for-profit organization that provides transitional development and relief assistance to communities in need around the world. UMCOR NGO seeks a Head of Mission (HoM) to develop new projects, take over management of existing programs, and lead its operations in Afghanistan.
The Head of Mission, (HoM), based in Kabul, will be responsible for strategic leadership, country office supervision, program development, and overseeing all aspects of UMCOR’s presence in Afghanistan. Central to the position will be the establishment and development of relations with donors, international and local NGOs, UN offices, government offices, local partners and other stakeholders.
The HoM will develop and manage current programs focusing on the following sectors: reconstruction, agriculture, food security, emergency relief, income generation, community development and capacity building. As part of program development, the HoM is expected to actively draft and submit new proposals for programming in UMCOR’s priority sectors. In addition, the position will be responsible for daily mission management, ongoing evaluation of security and UMCOR’s security protocols, and recruiting/supervising staff.
• To represent UMCOR and maintain relations with donors and in-country authorities.
• To provide strategic leadership and implement a strategy for program development in Afghanistan.
• Design, prepare and negotiate project proposals and budgets.
• Oversee all aspects of mission management, including administration, finance, project management and implementation, including reconstruction projects funded by USAID or other US Government donors.
• Continually assess the security situation and alter operations as appropriate.
• Must be willing to travel extensively to conduct regular site visits for all programs.
• Recruit qualified personnel as needed.
• Communicate with UMCOR HQ as needed on all aspects of programs and mission management.
• Is responsible for field office personnel management and staff development.
• Assess the needs of IDP/refugee returnees and initiate innovative new programs to provide them with humanitarian and development assistance.
• Master’s Degree in international development or a related field.
• Five or more years of progressively responsible international experience with a humanitarian organization; candidates with previous field-based senior management experience are strongly preferred.
• Requires someone who is proactive, has experience working in an insecure environment and demonstrates cultural sensitivity.
• Previous experience managing projects funded by USAID or other US Government donors is desirable.
• Previous working experience in Afghanistan is recommended.
• A background in IDP/refugee returns, shelter, community development, rural development and/or food security is preferred.
• Excellent writing, networking, management, program development and computer skills are required; the candidate speak and write English fluently.
• Strong communication skills, diplomacy and tact are essential.
Submit your cover letter (notes) and resume through our website at http://jobs-umcor.icims.com/umcor_jobs/jobs/candidate/job.jsp?jobid=1138&mode=view or fax to 212-870-3508. NO TELEPHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in UMCOR. Application deadline is April 25, 2008. This position will remain open until filled.