Last Date: April 11, 2008
Program Manager, UMCOR Afghanistan, Kabul
Closing Date: Friday, 11 April 2008
The Program Manager (PM) is responsible for ensuring that all aspects of UMCOR's USAID/OFDA-funded program at Barik Ab are implemented in compliance with the grant agreement and according to schedule. The PM oversees a staff of local program personnel including engineers, site foremen, community mobilizers, and vocational trainers. Specific responsibilities include management of beneficiary selection and self-help shelter construction; procurement oversight and contract management for infrastructure construction activities; start-up and oversight of vocational training programs; water project development and management; organizing distribution of NFIs; leading coordination among humanitarian agencies working at Barik Ab; and reporting on all program activities as per OFDA and UMCOR internal requirements. The PM reports to the Head of Mission, and works closely with the UMCOR Afghanistan Finance Director as well as supporting administrative and logistical staff. The PM is expected to spend a significant amount of time on-site at Barik Ab for management, monitoring, and planning of program activities.
In addition to UMCOR's standard benefits package, the Program Manager will be provided with accommodation in UMCOR's Kabul staff house, five days of R&R every eight weeks, and one annual round trip ticket to home of record provided a new 12-month contract is signed. Please note that this position is contingent upon funding.
- Develop work plans, in conjunction with program staff, for implementation of the Barik Ab program; oversee implementation of all program activities and ensure work plans are followed or adjusted as needed.
- Maintain oversight of the program budget and expenditures and ensure timely use of funds.
- Ensure compliance with UMCOR and donor policies and procedures as they relate to personnel, security, procurement and financial management.
- Ensure consistent high quality outputs and comprehensive monitoring, documenting and photographing of all activities and their impacts.
- Lead a monthly working group meeting for humanitarian and government agencies, proactively improving coordination and problem solving among them.
- Provide regular situation reports to the HoM, and timely program reports according to donor and internal UMCOR requirements.
- Develop external relations and partnerships as appropriate.
- Facilitate donor and other visits to field sites.
- Closely monitor security in areas of work through existing formal and informal channels.
- Make recommendations to HoM about necessary actions to protect staff and asset security.
- Other tasks as assigned by the HoM.
- A degree in civil engineering or a related field is desirable.
- Three years experience in construction, contracting, and cost estimates; additional experience in income generation, WATSAN projects, community development, or other spheres of humanitarian assistance is a benefit.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES DESIRED:
- Previous experience implementing USAID/OFDA-funded programs is highly desirable.
- Proven ability to supervise staff and operate successfully in a cross-cultural environment with experience in the region.
- Preferably one year of experience in a conflict zone or emergency area.
- Strong communication, leadership and teambuilding skills.
- Prior experience working in Afghanistan or Central Asia;
- Fluent written and spoken English; written and spoken knowledge of languages in Afghanistan is a benefit.
- Computer literate.
- Must be flexible, culturally sensitive, and willing to work under difficult work and living conditions.
Submit your cover letter (notes) and resume through our website at http://jobs-umcor.icims.com/umcor_jobs/jobs/candidate/job.jsp?jobid=1193&mode=view
or fax to 212-870-3508. NO TELEPHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in UMCOR. Application deadline is April 11, 2008.