is seeking a
Gender, Women & Development and ICT & Media
Hivos is a non-governmental organisation, rooted in the Netherlands and guided by humanist values, that wants to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world where citizens, women and men, have equal access to resources, opportunities and markets and can participate actively and equally in decision making processes that determine their lives, their society and their future. Hivos' basic commitment is to poor and marginalised people - and their organisations - in countries of the global South. A sustainable improvement of their situation is the ultimate benchmark for the work and efforts of Hivos. The empowerment of women in order to achieve gender equality is a primary directive in Hivos' policy. To that end Hivos offers financial and political support for civil organizations and initiatives that share Hivos' goals. In addition to funding, Hivos is networking, lobbying and sharing knowledge in the national and international arena as well as in The Netherlands.
Hivos’ India Regional Office, based in Bangalore, is seeking a Programme Officer with specific qualifications in Gender, Women and Development and/or ICT and Media.
1. Programme management;
2. Capacity building of partner organizations;
3. Development of relevant initiatives in partnership with other stakeholders;
4. Contribution to Hivos’ overall organizational and policy development.
a) Related to programme management
i. Operationalizing policies: Identifying and assessing potential partner organisations and their programmes
ii. Processing proposals from existing and new partner organizations, including direct and indirect support for improving proposal quality, and preparing Organisational Assessments and contract agreements
iii. Monitoring partners including routine correspondence, field visits, and progress reports
iv. Supporting partners in effort to strengthen their internal organisations and networks
v. Final assessment and approval of progress reports, financial statements and audit reports
vi. Maintaining proper project and sector files and documents
vii. Organising external evaluations and consultancy missions including identifying and contracting evaluators / consultants, drafting TORs, informing partners, assessing evaluation reports.
viii. Drafting progress / final reports to Hivos’ back donors
b) Related to capacity building
i. Identifying capacity building requirements of partner organisations, drafting TORs, selecting, contracting and monitoring consultants providing technical assistance to partner organisations
c) Related to partnerships and sector coordination
i. Profiling Hivos within the sector
iii. Liaising with Hivos’ back donors
iv. Facilitating cooperation between Hivos partners and other Indian and international civil society organizations
v. Participating in relevant sector networks of national and international NGOs and government
vi. Building relationships with other donors and the corporate sector
d) Related to institutional matters
i. Contributing to Hivos publications and reports
ii. Organising occasional in-house and external seminars, workshops and consultations as well as other knowledge-sharing related initiatives.
iii. Contributing to programme highlights, institutional planning exercises including mid-term review and end-of-term review.
iv. Contributing to regional and sectoral policies of Hivos
• Sound development perspective, with an understanding of the development sector in India, and excellent analytical abilities.
• Excellent knowledge of and experience in the policy areas, Gender, Women & Development, and ICT & Media.
• At least 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Capacity for independent decision-making and taking end-line responsibility
• Ability to translate generic sector policies into realistic initiatives in the Indian context.
• Candidates should be well organized, diligent, show initiative, be able to work under high pressure to meet deadlines, able to work as a member of a team, and be prepared to travel extensively and frequently within and outside India (including in rural areas).
• Excellent communication skills, oral and written, in English; knowledge of Hindi and Kannada/Tamil/Telugu desirable
• Planning, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Computer skills are a pre-requisite.
• Desirable: Exposure and/or work experience in rural India; specific experience with gender and organizational change, political participation of women, violence against women, innovative and strategic use of ICTs in the development sector, FOSS, use of ICT in the context of RTI.
• Educational qualifications: Master’s degree in Development Studies, Women’s Studies, Sociology or equally relevant education.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 7 April 2008
To send a well motivated application letter stating why you would be suited for the position, along with names of three referees and your updated CV, write to: email@example.com. All applications received will be acknowledged.
Further information on Hivos: www.hivos.nl/english