UNDP Indonesia's mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We aim to be a bridge between Indonesia and all donors as well as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.
The Aceh Government Transformation Program (AGTP) is a strategic initiative designed to support the transition process by strengthening the capacity of the provincial government to:
* Assume the responsibilities and functions of BRR when its term expires, and
* Implement policies and deliver services under the new local autonomy framework
This proposal has emerged from eight months of discussions between the Provincial Government of Aceh, BRR, BAPPENAS, United Nations Development Programme, World Bank, and key donors about the need for a strategic and systematic approach to the transfer of assets and functions assumed by BRR during the post-tsunami recovery and to the general strengthening of provincial government institutions to better manage the additional resources and responsibilities that accompany local autonomy.
The AGTP supports two main areas:
Technical Assistance, which has two components:
* Component 1a - TA for governor’s office – in 7 critical areas (HR, Anti Corruption, Transition, Legal, Economy, Communications and MIS) with supporting team for each area.
* Component 1b - TA for government administration (BADAN, Biro and DINAS) to support each institution.
Capacity Building, which has two components:
* Component 2a - Immediate capacity building needs, which includes formal training for heads and other capacity building for each institution.
* Component 2b- Sustainable capacity building, which involves a reform of DIKLAT to become the advanced “Aceh Civil Service College”.
The first area provides short-term assistance for the transfer of assets and responsibilities from BRR to the provincial Government. While the second area provides technical support and training for institution capacity building and reform of the provincial administration. Both of these areas dovetail in the larger objective of supporting the transition from post-tsunami recovery and post-conflict rehabilitation to long-term development for ongoing peace and prosperity in the province.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide leadership and technical support to the project management to ensure high quality programme development and implementation. The STA will support the systematic human resource development and bureaucratic reform to enable the provincial government smooth transition in assuming the responsibilities, functions and assets inherited from BRR and the other over from the BRR. The STA is to maintain the achievements and further the progress of the post-tsunami and post-conflict recovery efforts over the past years. In addition, the STA is to steer the team in developing sustainable governance capacity in Aceh to rouse immediate socio-economic gains as well as securing sustainable long-term developments. All is done with collaboration with the Project Manager and the Programme Management Unit (PMU) to plan, develop and initiate the AGTP project focusing on good governance.
Function / Expected Results
The Senior Technical Advisor will discharge the following duties and responsibilities:
* Design the AGTP project.
* Provide regular in-depth analysis of the state, progress and perspectives in Aceh governance environment to UNDP and other relevant stakeholders.
* Liaise and consult with relevant government entities and other stakeholders in formulating components of the project.
* Jointly identify and analyze the issues, formulate strategies and activities to be incorporated in components of the project.
* Contribute to capacity-strengthening initiatives focused on long term sustainability.
* Secure high level of ownership of and commitment by relevant government agencies on the activities in components.
* Ensure a project document is prepared and approved by Q3/2008.
Implement the project.
* Develop AGTP framework and provide strategic directions to the Programme Management Unit (PMU) in developing project initiatives and work plan preparations to ensure consistency with strategic objectives and results of AGTP project.
* Provide technical oversight and serve as a technical resource for the provision of technical assistance and capacity building initiatives in the implementation of the AGTP project.
* Collaborate with PMU on AGTP activities to ensure technical and programmatic consistency in programme implementation.
* Develop relationships with international agencies, donor community, multi-lateral organizations, non-profit agencies, private sector companies, and foreign government ministries to support the AGTP project.
Formulate Immediate Response Activities
* Identify needs and keep abreast of emerging issues for immediate response activities.
* Design the activities and conduct proper consultations on the activities with relevant stakeholders.
* Working with other UNDP staff in Jakarta and Banda Aceh, implement the immediate response activities.
Monitoring & Evaluation
* Develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans including developing evaluation criteria during programme design and building in baseline data collection techniques.
* Design tools and systems to regulate the developments in all government entities involved in the programme.
* Identify and develop tools to indicate the progressive transition of administration and transformation of the provincial government.
* Produce AGTP project Document which is strategically developed, properly consulted with and has the buy-in from the relevant government stakeholders, discussed and approved by the Project Approval Committee (PAC).
* Prepare project brief and technical papers for dissemination to government entities and stakeholders.
* Responsible in writing or/and editing as well as reviewing project activities proposals.
* Publish needs assessment, policy briefs and technical papers.
Visibility and Communications - Working closely with the Communications Officers in Jakarta and Banda Aceh, the STA will:
* Ensure that UNDP Governance Programme has adequate and strategic visibility in Aceh as well as nationally.
* Communicate strategically UNDP AGTP’s objectives and activities to relevant stakeholders.
* Advise and prepare visibility and communications strategies, plans, and activities.
Other duties as assigned by Project Board
The outputs of the assignment in the first year are: (a) a project document that is strategically developed, properly consulted with and has the buy-in from the relevant government stakeholders, discussed and approved by the Project Approval Committee (PAC); (b) external funding and donor reporting management is arranged and implemented; (c) the management arrangement of the AGTP is defined; (d) the PMU is set up and fully staffed. Advisors and consultants are hired. (e) 2008 annual work and budget plan is developed and approved; (f) quarterly reports are developed; (g) external communications and visibility are planned and implemented; (h) positive rapports with government and donor community is established; (i) the PMU team is provided with clear guidance and leadership; (j) project is implemented fully as planned.
Impact of Results
The key results have a direct impact on the overall efficiency and effectiveness of AGTP project management. Project implementation in line with the objectives of the project and UNDP rules, regulation and procedures is critical to ensure achievement of UNDP Country Programme outcomes. A client-oriented and efficient approach has impact on the image of UNDP Indonesia.
* Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Leadership and Self-Management
* Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
* Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
* Has a vision and provide clear directives to support to team members with the assigned tasks.
* Competent in leading team and creating team spirit, stimulating team members to produce quality outputs in a timely and transparent fashion.
* Ability to engage and motivate staff in a challenging programme.
* Establish and disseminate clear guidelines and parameters that articulate the distinct interests and roles of UNDP in advancing good governance practice in Indonesia.
* Highly analytical and conceptually minded in results based management and results oriented approach to project implementation.
* Ability to lead implementation and monitoring of development projects.
* Has demonstrated knowledge and experience in working on bureaucratic reform and/or decentralization initiatives and existing networks of experts and policy makers.
* Appreciates and have a firm grasp of the political dynamics of locality in attaining project goals and objectives.
Communications and Networking
* Has excellent written communication skill, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports.
* Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
* Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors.
Knowledge Management and Learning
* Encourages a work culture of continuous learning, information sharing, and professional development.
* Shares knowledge and experience; and ability to guide the team in achieving the programme objectives.
* Ability to develop and implement methods to gather, synthesize, and transfer knowledge, both formally and informally.
Required Skills and Experience
* Minimum Master’s Degree or equivalent in Political Science, International Development, Public Administration, Knowledge Management or related field.
* Minimum of 10 years working experience in supervising government / public administration development and lead bureaucratic reform and decentralization.
* Minimum of 5 years relevant overseas work experience in managing development programmes and projects.
* In depth knowledge of Aceh political and governance context.
* Extensive knowledge and experience in post-conflict and post-tsunami developments in Aceh
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills, writing ability and administrative skills.
* Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
* Ability to engage and negotiate with high level personnel in governmental institutions, external agencies, etc.
* Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize strategic intervention.
* Awareness and ability to conceptualize gender sensitive issues.
* Familiarity of UNDP system, rules and procedures is an advantage.
* Fluency in both written and oral English and Bahasa Indonesia. Working knowledge in Acehnese language is desirable.
* UNDP is an equal opportunity employer and qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
Deadline: 17, april, 2008.
Apply online now,,,