Director, REsulTS Initiative
Population Services International
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Last Date: July 4, 2008
Director, Results Initiative
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization, operating in more than 60 developing countries. PSI creates demand for essential health products and services by using private sector marketing techniques and innovative communications campaigns. On the supply side, PSI works with the commercial sector to increase the availability of these products and services at prices that are affordable to low-income populations. With a bottom-line orientation that is rare among non-profits, PSI markets products and services for family planning, maternal and child health, and the prevention of AIDS, malaria and other diseases. For more information, please visit: www.psi.org.
For more than 35 years, PSI has been applying private-sector marketing principles to public health challenges in developing nations. We have given people information and access to family planning choices, and to effective, appropriate, health-care products and services. As a result, we have made a major, measurable impact on the lives of millions of the world’s neediest people. PSI has a powerful organizational culture around a set of core values that collectively define PSI’s institutional identity. These are:
• We believe in the power of markets and market mechanisms to contribute to sustained improvements in the lives of the poor;
• We believe in results and a strong focus on measurement;
• We believe in working fast and efficiently, with a predisposition to action and an aversion to bureaucracy;
• We believe in being highly decentralized, and empowering our staff at the local level; and
• We believe in keeping our long-term commitment to the people we serve. We will honor this commitment as long as we can add value and save lives.
PSI seeks experienced candidates for the position of Director of Capacity Building and Manager of the REsulTS Initiative. The REsulTS Initiative is a capacity building program, established in 2005, to expand capacity building in Research, Marketing, Organizational Development and Management & Leadership. This role will expand the activities of the program from a focus primarily on 12 countries to all PSI programs in over 60 developing countries. The position is currently based in Johannesburg, South Africa, but the successful candidate could be based in Washington or elsewhere overseas. This position reports to the CTO.
RESPONSIBILITES: The Director will support PSI’s global mission by leadership of a new global capacity building strategy. Responsibilities include:
• Work closely with the CTO, COO and Regional Directors to assess and monitor staff and potentially other capacity needs and skills within the PSI network, develop and execute appropriate capacity building strategies, and work with other technical and operational units (research, HIV, malaria, reproductive health, clean water, child survival, contracts, HR) to create and deliver new capacity development media and methodologies in each region;
• Measure and monitor activities to ensure regional targets for capacity and quality assurance are achieved on time and within budget;
• Grow and manage a global capacity building team;
• Act as the principle liaison for donors who directly sponsor REsulTS and increase funds for the project;
• Develop and secure funding for various components of our global capacity building activities, support new initiatives in regions, and collaborate on other PSI contracts where capacity building is a mission critical element; and
• Publish the impact of REsulTS externally and within PSI.
• Advanced degree in a relevant discipline;
• 5 – 10 years senior level experience in international public health and / or organizational development;
• 2-3 years minimum experience running PSI field programs is preferred;
• Experience in managing a global staff and budget;
• Significant experience in the development, management and evaluation of training programs;
• Private sector and social marketing experience a plus; and
• Fluency in at least one foreign language preferred.
The successful candidate will have a passion for increasing the knowledge and skills of others, and be able to demonstrate the ability to market services and concepts and be able to build consensus. They will possess strategic thinking skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; well-developed interpersonal and cross-cultural abilities; a passion for measurable results and private sector approaches to development; and knowledge of international development donors.
TO APPLY: Please apply online at www.psi.org. No calls or emails please.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.