Consultant - War Crimes Trials Outreach Assessment Adviser
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Last Date: June 30, 2008
CONSULTANT: WAR CRIMES TRIALS OUTREACH ASSESSMENT ADVISER
Location : Belgrade, SERBIA
Application Deadline : 30-Jun-08
Additional Category Crisis Prevention and Recovery
Type of Contract : SSA
Languages Required : English
Starting Date :(date when the selected canditate is expected to start) 01-Sep-2008
Duration of Initial Contract : 35 working days
Background of the UNDP office in Serbia. UNDP has embarked on assisting Serbia in implementing a comprehensive development framework. The framework focuses on judicial reform and the rule of law, enabling institutional development and public administration reform, facilitating poverty reduction and economic development, and assisting vulnerable groups through a human security approach. Cutting across these clusters are four primary themes:
* Human rights and gender equality,
* Policy reform and consensus building,
* Constituency empowerment,
* e-Governance using information technology.
Within the Governance cluster, UNDP pursues the achievement of following outcomes:
* The development of institutions, laws and innovative practices intended to promote the respect for human rights.
* Working with government, judiciary, and professional associations, as well as with regional and international stakeholders to further professional advancement, competency improvement and facilitating access to knowledge for legal professionals.
* Strengthening the capacity of various line ministries and other government agencies for closer European integration and improved public administration
We are working to strengthen the capacities of post-conflict social institutions to address interrelated development, conflict prevention and justice issues.
The War Crimes Trials and Notions of Justice project seeks to bridge a divide between the international judicial community and the domestic legal community in the former Yugoslavia in articulating the results of international legal decisions regarding the armed conflicts. The project will also promote discussion and the development of lessons learned to facilitate greater understanding about the work of the ICTY by combining the expertise of international experts in judicial outreach with the community-based, contextual expertise of local actors.
The project will help to develop a methodology to impart expertise in outreach from the international sector to local stakeholders who lack experience in international law and proceedings, with the idea of creating a flexible and exportable outcome, while providing the international experts with ideas for better mechanisms to incorporate a localized approach in their own outreach efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Assessment of regional and international war crimes trials outreach activities:
* Complete a mapping report of the work conducted by key judicial organs on war crimes trials in the former Yugoslavia and international tribunals on outreach for war crimes trials.
* Lead a fact-finding mission to places in the region and to The Hague to meet with key stakeholders involved in outreach.
2) Assessment of effectiveness of Outreach initiatives:
* Compile an analytical report on the effectiveness of domestic and international judicial outreach initiatives. The report should include
* An overview of previous and current practices;
* Recommendations on improving outreach efforts and strengthening regional and international cooperation
* Present the findings of the report to interested stakeholders.
3) Recommendations for creating a professional outreach network:
Draft a proposed structure for creating a professional outreach network aimed at enhancing cooperation among domestic and international judicial outreach organs via an online community of practice and other methods.
The incumbent should finalize an analytical study on the effectiveness of war crimes trials outreach. The study will be based on research and consultations with national partners, the ICTY, the ICC and other domestic and international judicial institutions.
The Study should contain the following:
* Introduction on war crimes trials outreach practices
* Overview of current domestic and international outreach efforts
* Recommendations on improving outreach efforts and fostering regional and international cooperation
* Recommendations for creating a global network of outreach practitioners
* express ideas clearly;
* work independently and in teams;
* demonstrate a sense of self-assuredness combined with cultural and gender sensitivities
Required Skills and Experience
* Advanced degree in law, social science, humanities, or related field;
* Sound knowledge of key concepts and practices, and relevant experience in working on related issues;
* Previous experience working with domestic or international judicial institutions dealing with war crimes trials;
* Broad understanding of remaining sensitivities on the regional and national levels;
* Superior analytical and writing skills;
* Superior communication and interpersonal skills;
* Written and spoken proficiency in English; another UN language an asset;
* Knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian and/or Albanian, Macedonian an asset