Program Assistant - Central and Eastern Europe
National Democratic Institute (NDI)
Location: Washington, DC
Last Date: July 3, 2008
Program Assistant: Central and Eastern Europe
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Program Assistant to support democracy development programs in Central and Eastern Europe. The position will be based in Washington, DC.
• Provides administrative and logistical support to field offices and DC-based program managers;
• Maintains communication with field offices and NDI partner organizations overseas;
• Under the supervision of program managers, drafts NDI documents including quarterly and final activity reports, proposals and budgets, annual workplans, and occasional articles for public distribution;
• Monitors political events in assigned countries and provides written and oral updates to senior staff as needed;
• Acts as the primary support to Program Manager and backs-up other team members;
• Assists the Program Manager in recruiting and briefing staff, volunteers, consultants and trainers and expedites projects in host country; coordinates new-hire and closeout procedure;
• Prepares and compiles briefing materials for staff, consultants and volunteers in field programs;
• Assists in oversight and tracking of program expenses;
• Trains and supervises interns.
• Bachelor's degree in International Relations, Political Science, or related subject;
• Minimum one (1) year of work experience preferred;
• Strong analytical writing skills;
• Fluency in oral and written English;
• Strong attention to detail;
• Excellent verbal communication skills;
• Demonstrated interest in, and knowledge of, regional political environment and people;
• Foreign language ability applicable to the region, preferred;
• Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, US and foreign government personnel and NGO community;
• Ability to follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment; deadline oriented;
• Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications;
• Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
• Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested applicants can apply now using our on-line resume tool www.ndi.org. Please cite the exact position title in your cover letter.