Location: London, UK
Last Date: July 3, 2008
JOB SPECIFICATION AND APPLICATION DETAILS
Who are we?
AccountAbility is an innovative and friendly organisation working in an exciting, continually evolving environment. We are a non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting accountability for sustainable development through a mixture of research and services, advocacy, standards and training. Uniquely placed as the leading advocate of accountability solutions for business, civil society and the public sector, we partner some of the most extraordinary people and organisations, such as the World Economic Forum, Harvard’s Kennedy School, Brazil’s Instituto Ethos, the World Bank, and our many members. We have over 200 members (both organisations and individuals) in 20 countries across 5 continents.
This opportunity is to join the Programmes Team, a small team of six covering research, policy and advisory work on corporate social responsibility and sustainability. This team is responsible for delivering the annual Accountability Rating (www.accountabilityrating.com) which assesses how the world’s 100 largest companies do business, and the State of Responsible Competitiveness programme. Our ongoing projects include ‘National Competitiveness in a Low-Carbon Future’ with the United Nations Environment Programme and the Saudi Arabian Responsible Competitiveness Index.
The Programmes Team is a dynamic and busy environment. It provides access to high-level networks, ongoing learning opportunities and real insights into activities of business, civil society and governments. The right candidate can grow in this role to help shape the public debate and quickly develop expertise in corporate responsibility and sustainability.
Visit our website to learn more about our work, the AccountAbility team and where we are located.
Who are we looking for?
You will be an enthusiastic, driven individual who is engaged and wants to be part of a growing team working towards fulfilling our mission. You will work in our programmes team and report to our Head of Programmes, in developing and driving our research agenda, identifying areas of emerging international interest and developing knowledge sharing and advocacy processes that ensure that our ideas are taken up internationally.
You will have a proven track record in supporting and developing research and/or advocacy processes on economic, trade or policy issues within the context of corporate social accountability and/or sustainable development.
You may have a background in Social Sciences or Economics, preferably to post-graduate level, and an interest in promoting understanding and debate on the relationship between corporate accountability and the markets in which companies operate, as well as the overarching policy frameworks that shape those markets. An exceptional candidate from another discipline would also be considered.
You will also have an appetite to develop the appropriate skill level in research methodologies and project management (including resource planning and financial management of projects). Due to the quantitative basis of some of our research, numeracy is essential, as is command of Microsoft Excel. Due to the nature of the work, effective communication and negotiating/facilitating skills and a high standard in oral and written English are essential.
What does the role involve?
Your role will include – but is not limited to – the following:
• Assisting the Head of Programmes with the identification of research and funding opportunities for projects.
• Providing input to the strategic and intellectual design of research projects including identification of project partners.
Programme Management, Implementation and Outreach
• Assisting the Head of Programmes in the development of detailed project plans including resource plans and budgets.
• Supporting consultation efforts / manage and support convening and peer review processes associated with projects.
• Drafting of project outputs to an excellent level of quality and helping project teams in positioning, drafting and editing outputs.
• Liaise with clients and funders, providing timely reporting on project progress.
• Contributing to the development and implementation of appropriate communications and outreach plans to ensure high levels of awareness, buy-in and implementation of project outputs internally and externally.
• Liaison with internal AccountAbility teams to identify synergies with our Standards and Membership functions.
Conditions of Employment
(a) The position is available immediately, is permanent and full-time, and will be based in London, UK. The successful applicant will be expected to live within commuting distance from AccountAbility’s offices in London
(b) AccountAbility is a flexible employer and offers flexible working options as appropriate.
(c) Remuneration will be competitive and consistent with a small, dynamic organisation in this field. Salary ranging from £26,000 to £30,000 per annum dependent on experience.
How do I apply?
- If you would like additional information or would like to discuss the role further, please contact Erika Collinson on +44 (0) 20 7549 0400.
- To apply for this position, please send a ‘letter of application’ to Erika Collinson, HR & Administration Advisor, complete with a full C.V. You should clearly indicate when you would be able to take up the post and your salary expectations for this role. Applications will be accepted in electronic form, and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for applications is 5pm on Thursday 3rd July 2008.