Title: Special Events Associate
Reports to: Senior Manager, Special Events
Location: New York, NY
The Rainforest Alliance (RA) is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Special Events Associate will be responsible for providing support to the Sr. Manager, Special Events. S/he will help plan fundraising and cultivation events, meetings, conferences, auctions and other events as they are scheduled. S/he will recruit for and facilitate a volunteer program that helps prepare for the organization’s annual Gala and other events as needed.
• Work with Sr. Manager on event planning;
• Coordinate event related logistics including database management, assist with management of tracking sheet and coordination of vendors/event arrangements;
• Run queries using Raiser’s Edge database to create event invitation and mailing lists;
• Draft and coordinate paper and electronic mailings including event related solicitations, invitations and acknowledgement letters and other correspondence/mailings;
• Identify and research new event supporters, attendees, sponsors, honorees and celebrity hosts/entertainers using print and electronic resources;
• Design paper and electronic event materials and other communications as needed using Adobe PhotoShop and Kintera;
• Recruit, interview and train 15-20 volunteers to help prepare for the Gala; schedule and organize volunteer meetings;
• Coordinate all logistics related to the Gala Silent and Online Auction including database management, and tracking and acknowledging donations;
• Identify, research, cultivate and recruit new auction/gift bag donors;
• Organize donations to create auction packages, displays and bid sheets;
• Collect payments and coordinate fulfillment of auction items; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required;
• Minimum two years fundraising experience with demonstrated experience in event planning and volunteer coordination; minimum one year administrative experience required;
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required); demonstrated experience with Microsoft Outlook, Kintera, Adobe PhotoShop and Acrobat; Lexis Nexis; Researcher’s Edge and Raiser’s Edge donor tracking software preferred;
• Must be comfortable promoting events and asking for in-kind donations;
• Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills required;
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
• Strong attention to detail and deadlines; must be able to work independently and on a team; and
• Knowledge of and commitment to environmental issues and sustainability practices preferred; and
• Not-for-profit experience preferred.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided.
Send resume and cover letter to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 665 Broadway Suite 500 New York, New York 10012. Fax: 212-677-2187. E-mail: Personnel@ra.org.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer
Special Events Associate
Location: New York, NY, USA
Last Date: August 19, 2008