TITLE: Senior Medical Associate
PROGRAM: Fistula Care
REPORTS TO: Clinical Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
UNION AFFLIATION: Union
EngenderHealth works to improve the health and well-being of people in the poorest communities of the world. We do this by sharing our expertise in sexual and reproductive health and transforming the quality of health care. We promote gender equity, advocate for sound practices and policies, and inspire people to assert their rights to better, healthier lives. Working in partnership with local organizations, we adapt our work in response to local needs.
The Fistula Care Project is a USAID-funded cooperative agreement managed by EngenderHealth. Its objectives are to increase access to fistula prevention, repair and rehabilitation services.
The Senior Medical Associate works with the Fistula Care Project team and country program directors and staff to set strategic directions, develop, implement and evaluate fistula programs at the country level. This position will take the lead on the development and implementation of prevention and reintegration strategies, under the guidance of the Clinical Director and in consultation with the core team, country program staff, and counterparts. In addition, the staff member in this position will design, implement and evaluate global activities relating to quality improvement. Other activities relating to safe motherhood programs may be assigned as required.
1. In consultation with the Clinical Director, provide guidance on the development of strategies, implementation and evaluation of prevention and reintegration activities for fistula programs.
2. Provide programming and technical assistance to country programs in program design including site assessments, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
3. Guide and monitor project performance related to prevention, reintegration activities, and quality improvement.
4. Provide programmatic and training support to the fistula care community component for prevention and reintegration.
5. Design and conduct training programs in collaboration with country staff on fistula prevention and reintegration, and quality improvement.
6. Assist in the design and implementation of operations research activities on prevention and reintegration in collaboration with the Fistula Care M, E, & R Director.
7. Serve as a liaison with partnering institutions and collaborators related to the project’s activities.
8. Represent the project at meetings and professional conferences
9. Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
• Certified Nurse/midwife or Physician
• Graduate degree in public health or related field or equivalent experience
• Ten years experience in sexual and reproductive health or related areas working in Africa or providing technical assistance to African institutions.
• Work experience in safe motherhood programs preferred
• Design, implementation, and follow-up of training activities
• French language skills highly desired
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to work in teams, manage multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to work cross culturally
• Demonstrated ability to plan, design,facilitate, and evaluate training, including curriculum development or instructional design on areas such as FP/RH counseling, infection prevention and quality improvement
• Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and preferably in French, as well as presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and liaise with representatives of various levels of government and civil society
• Demonstrated ability to monitor expenditures and work with budgets
• Computer literate, with knowledge of Windows applications
• Willingness to travel/work in the resource-constrained settings 25% of the time
• Sense of humor.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and add “Sr. Medical Associate, Fistula” to the subject line.
EngenderHealth is organized in teams, with each team managed by a program manager. As a result, additional duties may be assigned to this position; responsibilities changed or deleted based on team assignments and re-structuring; and direct supervisor is subject to change. Decisions regarding applications for this position and employment at EngenderHealth should be based on this information.