Global Administrator - Membership & Governance
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability
Last Date: June 27, 2008
GLOBAL ADMINISTRATOR (Membership & Governance)
Global Administrator (Membership & Governance) is a key international position at the Toronto Offices of ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability. The Toronto Offices include the ICLEI World Secretariat and the ICLEI Canada Office managed through a single non-profit corporation.
ICLEI is a worldwide association of local governments dedicated to implementing sustainable development. It is governed by its over 830 member metropolitan regions, cities, towns, counties and municipal associations in 68 countries. ICLEI runs campaigns and programs, provides information, training and advice to local governments, and carries out advocacy vis-à-vis governments and UN organizations.
ICLEI functions as an association of local governments, a movement of cities towards sustainability, and an environmental and sustainable development agency for local governments.
ICLEI maintains regional and country offices for Africa, Europe, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, Canada, Japan, Korea, Mexico and the USA. These are managed through 11 affiliated corporations. The organization has 180 staff worldwide.
The incumbent will work in a highly multicultural environment, with most partners (senior managers) being located in remote offices.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE
The Global Administrator (Membership & Governance) - GA - ensures consistent and efficient policies and procedures throughout the organization. The GA will ensure that ICLEI’s international administrative and governance systems are both effective and efficient.
ICLEI is in a transition towards a new type of non-for-profit business focused organization.
- Maintain and further develop membership policies
- Lead international membership administration team consisting of membership administrators of regional secretariats and country offices
- Process membership applications globally; administer membership in Canada and regions without own administrative capacity
- Maintain global membership database
- Administer membership of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change (service to the WMCCC Secretariat)
- Maintain and further develop organizational policies; oversee implementation and compliance
- Support regional managers in applying good corporate governance and Board management
- Manage processes of review and revision of governance documents (Charter, By-Laws etc.)
- Manage Board Meetings of the corporation ICLEI (Management) Inc. and Shareholder Meetings of European subsidiary
- Schedule, prepare and manage meetings incl. meeting documents and minutes for ICLEI Council (General Assembly), Executive Committee, Management Committee and Advisory Council
- Manage Executive Committee election and Management Committee appointment processes
- Support Secretary General in managing process of review of current, and development of new, six-year Strategic Plan
- Maintain and update ICLEI’s Policy & Procedures Manual
- Organize and coordinate use of Intranet as central information & communication tool across offices
- Review and prepare contracts
- Interface to organization’s legal counsel
- Work with International Training Centre on staff capacity building and training
- Degree / postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject such as Business Administration, Corporate Administration, Law, or similar
- Excellent corporate administrator with solid professional knowledge and experience
The suitable candidate will:
- have a minimum of ten years working experience in at least two administrative positions, at least one of them outside the academic sector;
- have a proven track record in creating, maintaining and overseeing compliance with: policies, procedures, systems and tools for streamlined operations,
- bring previous experience in:
- organizational administration and governance in a complex organization, ideally with headquarters and affiliates,
- legal matters,
- office management,
- international working environment,
- coordinating, motivating and advising staff.
Abilities and Skills
- Organized working style; ability to work independently
- Analytical mind
- Coping with changes in priorities
- Decent corporate communication style (written and oral); ability to communicate clearly, understandably and with due cultural sensitivity
- Desire to work at high professional and ethical standards
- Excellent command in oral and written communication of English; good command of one or more other languages relevant to ICLEI's work (preferably Chinese Mandarin, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish) would be an asset
Reporting and support
The GA reports directly to the Secretary General (SG).
S/he will be part-time supported by the Resource and Support Officer.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The position is available immediately.
The workplace is in Toronto (relocation is required). Occasional international travel is required.
Communication with partners around the world may require work during unusual hours.
Salary range: Can$ 55,000-65,000
Send fax or email job application including:
- letter of motivation
- detailed CV
- documents illustrating previous experience
- indication of citizenship, and if non-Canadian, if holder of a work permit for Canada
- indication of availability date
by 27 June 2008 to:
ICLEI World Secretariat
Attn. Maria Patá
City Hall, West Tower, 16th floor
100 Queen Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N2
Telefax +1-416 / 392-1478
We thank all candidates in advance for their applications, but advise that only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.